perSonas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tempest Knight

5 posters

Go down

The Tempest Knight Empty The Tempest Knight

Post  Tempest Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Tempest Knight

Stats :

Strength : 27 + 3.1
Agility : 13 + .8
Energy : 25 + 2.6

Primary Stat : Strength
Attack Range : Melee
Movement Speed : 350
Base Armor : 3
Base Damage : 14 - 16 (41 - 43 with base stats)
Model : (The model used for Sven [dota], if possible)

Plans for the Tempest Knight : A melee tank that can absorb a lot of damage and punishes the enemy for giving it to him. Also has some very slight DPS capabilities -- his primary stat, strength, and the stat for his shield, energy, all have high growth rates and also improve his damage in some way (Discharge for Energy). It will definitely take some work for his DPS to shine, however, thanks to his abysmal agility and range. It's a possibility, but more for a backup than a plan A.

His best game is most likely his mid-game. His ability to return damage both at a percentage and at a base amount will provide the most effect in this period of time (when energy casters have a noticeably low amount of health and attack heroes have a bit, but not an overwhelming amount of, DPS). Later on, a caster will not die only from the returned damage and a DPS hero will have a high enough attack power to lower the damage given to damage returned ratio, allowing them to quite possibly overtake this hero.

If it does progress to late-game, the Tempest Knight will have to rely on his own damage to take on the bigger enemies while his passives back him up and his semi-disable brings them a bit closer to his level.

He has very minor ganking potential, but this is only with his semi-disable and ultimate. His potential is strongest when fighting against a single enemy but declines rapidly with more enemies. This and his lack of a *reliable* means to escape (Grasp is melee range and can be swapped out of) makes him a bit susceptible to ganks, though his tanking ability and poor late-game should limit him as a target.
_____

Skill 1:
Discharge (passive)

The Tempest Knight naturally collects the stray electrical charges from the area around him. Every few seconds, an electrical discharge will be released with the swing of his weapon, traveling through the target.

After two seconds, on the Tempest Knight's next attack, a chain lightning will hit his primary target and bounce to others nearby.

Damage is 10/20/30/40 + .8x his Energy stat
Hits 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 units and bounces to units 275 / 325 / 375 / 425 distance away.

"Cooldown" : 2 seconds

+++++

Skill 2:
Paretic Grasp (active)

The Tempest Knight grabs the victim, releasing a large amount of electrical current through their body. This deals light damage and limits the victim's mobility as it recovers.

Deals 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 damage
Slows movement speed by 20/30/40/50% for four seconds.
Slows attack speed by 50% for four seconds.

Cooldown : 30 / 26 / 22 / 18 seconds

This is a good reason for people to target him when he gets close -- not for his damage, but for his semi-disable. Also, if he *is* ignored and a fragile ally is targeted, he can use this skill to keep the aggressor from being able to finish him off.

+++++

Skill 3:
Knight's Resolve (active [self buff]) and Feedback (active)

The Tempest Knight steels himself for the battle ahead and strengthens his muscles and electrical field. Attacks made against him during this time will have less of an effect. The stress of this, however, makes it impossible to keep up indefinitely, and he will be unable to maintain control over the collected energy after it wears off.

Blocks 16/22/28/34% of the incoming damage for eight seconds. After the effect wears off, the Tempest Knight will have the (feedback) skill for three seconds, which will release the absorbed energy in a wave (kind of like shockwave) that damages enemies. If the Tempest Knight does not use the "feedback" skill, the collected energy will violently explode from his body, dealing damage to himself equal to half the collected damage.

The shockwave deals full damage to the first unit it hits but decreases in power with subsequent units at a rate of 12%.

Cooldown : 30 seconds

+++++

Ultimate:
Dielectric Breakdown (active)

The Tempest Knight's electrical field is focused to the point that it even forces the air around him to conduct his current. Those who enter the field are subjected to the resulting sparks.

Permanently creates a (Locust Swarm) effect. Units within the area will be subject to the attacks of the units, which have a small chance to perform a mini-stun on attack. Damage, maximum number of units, and area all increase per level.

6 / 9 / 12 units. Max 4 / 5 / 6 per unit. Deals 12-24/18-36/24-48 damage (they attack once every second) and has a 2% chance to stun for .1 second with a 18 / 27 / 36 bonus damage. AoE is 340 / 400 / 460.

Spell lasts for 20 seconds at all levels, and the cooldown is 60 seconds at all levels.

Aesthetic -- incredibly small, permanently invisible locust units with a small, bright attack, as to create the effect of small sparks randomly occurring near the target.

Last edited by Tempest on Sun May 10, 2009 4:35 am; edited 18 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed skills. Compounding on Role)

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

The Tempest Knight Empty Re: The Tempest Knight

Post  Cokemonkey11 Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Sounds good, but I think 1 passive ability is enough for a hero.

You should change the 3rd ability.
Cokemonkey11
Cokemonkey11
Veteran Member

http://gocguild.co.cc/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Cokemonkey11 wrote:Sounds good, but I think 1 passive ability is enough for a hero.

You should change the 3rd ability.

Depends on the hero's theme.

Considering that his primary function is to deal damage in an indirect way that consists on either being attacked or dealing damage through something he can't directly control, two passives isn't stretching things at all and fits his character more than trying to substitute one with an active. Not to mention that his ult is a rather powerful *active* skill in itself, though its success is not always guaranteed. I just don't see a reason to change anything right now.

If there is any reason as to why you think the third ability should be changed aside from your opinion of having too many passives (why should the third skill be changed and not the first?), then I'm all open to suggestions. What would you suggest I substitute a skill for? Convince me.

I should also point out that you have not used this argument against even my Plaguebearer, who has *three* passives, one of which is his ultimate. With that in mind, I not only disagree with your stance, but don't understand why you bring it up for this hero alone.

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm

This hero idea is, shockingly, too complicated. It shouldn't take me 10 minutes to imagine what the ultimate does. I get that you want a sort of lightning-based battlemage, but can you simplify it a bit while retaining the parts that are most meaningful to you? Think about what a player would have to go through to understand this hero.

That said, this of course shows massively more thought than most people put into their concepts, so I don't mean to be critical, just practical.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

https://personas.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Bengal_Tigger wrote:This hero idea is, shockingly, too complicated. It shouldn't take me 10 minutes to imagine what the ultimate does. I get that you want a sort of lightning-based battlemage, but can you simplify it a bit while retaining the parts that are most meaningful to you? Think about what a player would have to go through to understand this hero.

That said, this of course shows massively more thought than most people put into their concepts, so I don't mean to be critical, just practical.

Discharge : His passive on-attack skill makes me think "Admiral Proudmoore meets Zeus" from DotA. If people understand Chain Lightning and understand Tidebringer, they should understand Discharge.

Static Ward : This is probably the most complicated one for a random person to understand. But, this can be cleared up with "if you are close enough to it, it will shoot lightning at peoples once it charges".

Feedback : Centaur's Return based on the actual damage as well as a static amount. I would think of it as "Bradwarden meets new Blademail".

Tempestuous Wrath : I am reminded of, let's say, Crystal Maiden's ult on a much larger scale, with a few guaranteed hits. Say that, and people will probably understand it, as well.

The specifics of how many and at what time are more important to the developer and the person who wants to "perfect" a hero. The casual player, who doesn't want to go through the hassle, will probably be content with all of the shiny lights Cool .

Your thoughts on my stance would be appreciated. I am quite happy to receive a reply to my threads, and I'll be considering what to change, but I don't really see it as all too complicated... It might take a game or two to fully understand, but so do other heroes, as well.

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Fri May 01, 2009 12:48 am

Maybe it's just your formatting that's hard to analyze, or maybe it's just that I don't feel like diving into the specifics of an ability before I have a sense of what it (as well as the hero as a whole) is and does.

Discharge : His passive on-attack skill makes me think "Admiral Proudmoore meets Zeus" from DotA. If people understand Chain Lightning and understand Tidebringer, they should understand Discharge.

Forgot to mention I don't play DotA anymore so the new heroes are a bit foreign to me. I do happen to get the reference, though, and I know how I'd implement this.

Static Ward : This is probably the most complicated one for a random person to understand. But, this can be cleared up with "if you are close enough to it, it will shoot lightning at peoples once it charges".

Ok.

Feedback : Centaur's Return based on the actual damage as well as a static amount. I would think of it as "Bradwarden meets new Blademail".

Ok.

Tempestuous Wrath : I am reminded of, let's say, Crystal Maiden's ult on a much larger scale, with a few guaranteed hits. Say that, and people will probably understand it, as well.

Yeah, but it's so over the top in terms of complication. It doesn't need to have all those specific numbers that I couldn't possibly fit into a tooltip.

The specifics of how many and at what time are more important to the developer and the person who wants to "perfect" a hero. The casual player, who doesn't want to go through the hassle, will probably be content with all of the shiny lights Cool .

Yep, but I'd probably make my own numbers for those things anyway. =]

Your thoughts on my stance would be appreciated. I am quite happy to receive a reply to my threads, and I'll be considering what to change, but I don't really see it as all too complicated... It might take a game or two to fully understand, but so do other heroes, as well.

I just want to know what your hero wants to do. The actual numbers and shit are highly subject to change anyway so I care a lot less about them. That's why I asked for a summary. Now I know what your hero does for the most part, and I can take a look at the specifics with that in mind without taking up too much of my immediate attention. I'm lazy when it comes to scanning hero concepts I'm unfamiliar with.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 am

Noted. I'll be sure to write a summary of the hero before delving into the specifics.

And my point is that you don't have to put everything into the tooltip :

<Name> invokes a storm, causing lightning bolts to randomly hit within a large area. Less bolts will hit areas further away from where the spell is cast.

The specifics are programming or for perfectionists... and it lets me have a bit of control over what the hero actually does. Skills such as "1.75x crit at 45%" don't strike me as anything unique, and I enjoy making unique heroes x3.

On that note, I'd really like to be told of potential changes or things that just can't be put in at all. If, for example, you didn't like the numbers of the Ward (or the skill at all), I'd prefer if you let me change it until it was ok (with your input on why it is not ok, so I don't make a skill with the same problem) than just changing it yourself. >_>. It's selfish of me, I know, but I really do care for my concepts.

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Sun May 03, 2009 1:46 am

Tempest wrote:Noted. I'll be sure to write a summary of the hero before delving into the specifics.

Thanks.

Tempest wrote:<Name> invokes a storm, causing lightning bolts to randomly hit within a large area. Less bolts will hit areas further away from where the spell is cast.

Yes, that's easy enough, although I daresay I don't like to make a habit out of tooltips like that. It's better if you can tell the player exactly what the ability does in a concise manner.

Tempest wrote:
The specifics are programming or for perfectionists... and it lets me have a bit of control over what the hero actually does. Skills such as "1.75x crit at 45%" don't strike me as anything unique, and I enjoy making unique heroes x3.

Yeah, I agree as far as that goes, actually ~ which is why I'm devoting some time to looking at your heroes. I see a ton of boring regurgitated ideas and at least yours is different, although I think one downside that you don't think is a downside is that things are needlessly complicated. Like, complication is OK if it serves a purpose, but if an ability is basically just blademail with fancy graphics and some curious %-based threshold-based etc. kind of nonsense, it makes me wonder how someone would actually take advantage of that uniqueness in a way they wouldn't with blademail. Note that DotA thrives on very simple heroes, not that we intend to make this game like DotA, merely pointing out that simplicity is not necessarily a vice, and when a hero lacks simplicity it should be for a clear purpose.

Tempest wrote:On that note, I'd really like to be told of potential changes or things that just can't be put in at all. If, for example, you didn't like the numbers of the Ward (or the skill at all), I'd prefer if you let me change it until it was ok (with your input on why it is not ok, so I don't make a skill with the same problem) than just changing it yourself. >_>. It's selfish of me, I know, but I really do care for my concepts.

I guess that's a fair request. Regarding the ward, I'm just not sure I follow what the ability is meant to do. I read it over again and it makes sense, but I can't see 1) how I'd want to use the ability, 2) how it fits with the rest of the hero aside from the lightning theme, 3) what's so great about it.

In general, I think I'd like to see more of what the hero is meant to be...i.e. more than just a collection of skills. Who is this guy, other than a dude with some lightning abilities?
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Mon May 04, 2009 2:15 am

The wards can be useful for a multitude of reasons. It does require a bit of positioning and forethought, however. I'll most likely change it, as when I try to argue its benefits, I see most of them catered to myself Razz.

And as for Feedback, it's actually *not* just a specialized Blademail or Return. It encompasses elements of both -- a static amount of damage and a lesser amount of damage based on how much he was hit for. This stems from my personal belief that both creating a purely a static amount or percentage amount should be avoided unless you want to specialize against a specific damage-input.

I apply a similar concept to his ultimate. Having things completely random is not fun, whereas having it 100% guaranteed is not what I'm looking for at all. Therefore, I mixed in elements of both. It has a rather high damage potential range, but not so much as to be completely unreliable.

I'll also create a backstory in the near future so that he actually has a set theme. Then he won't be just "some dood with a sword and lightning boltz of doom".

Final Word : Wards will be changed. Backstory added soon.

Question : How big is the Persona Map? What is the range from Maiev to Illidan?

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Tempest wrote:The wards can be useful for a multitude of reasons. It does require a bit of positioning and forethought, however. I'll most likely change it, as when I try to argue its benefits, I see most of them catered to myself Razz.

It just seems complicated.

And as for Feedback, it's actually *not* just a specialized Blademail or Return. It encompasses elements of both -- a static amount of damage and a lesser amount of damage based on how much he was hit for. This stems from my personal belief that both creating a purely a static amount or percentage amount should be avoided unless you want to specialize against a specific damage-input.

Understood, but so what? It's still just damage return. Snore.

I apply a similar concept to his ultimate. Having things completely random is not fun, whereas having it 100% guaranteed is not what I'm looking for at all. Therefore, I mixed in elements of both. It has a rather high damage potential range, but not so much as to be completely unreliable.

Randomness isn't great, period. I know I'd personally rather have an ultimate I can rely on that one that might do more than I want or less than I want.

I'll also create a backstory in the near future so that he actually has a set theme. Then he won't be just "some dood with a sword and lightning boltz of doom".

Well, okay, but a backstory wasn't what I had in mind. I meant a role for the hero. Like what KIND of hero is he besides some lightning dude? How do his abilities work with each other? If it's taking me a year to read his tooltips, I'd like some idea of what I want to do with him. Is he caster strength? What part of the game is he good during? How do you build him effectively? Who is good to use with him? None of this seems clear, and I'm not sure whether to blame the needless complication or the ideas themselves.

Question : How big is the Persona Map? What is the range from Maiev to Illidan?

I dunno. I'm an artist, not a scientist. 5000 is too far. 3000 is still far. 2000 is pretty reasonable for a sort-of-long-distance effect. 1000 is, well, far but not that far.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  so.SuaVe Tue May 05, 2009 3:34 pm

range of anja's arrow and marine's shot : 1600

cerauno's charged bolt ranges up to 2000
so.SuaVe
so.SuaVe
Suave Nipu

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Fri May 08, 2009 10:31 am

Modified.

Changed wards and his ult.

Comments are welcome. No backstory yet, but I did add his "role" Razz. I am, however, out of time at the moment, I will add more detail to this in the near future.

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 am

Good changes.

Discharge is fine, as before.

I like the new second ability. It's simple, but effective. Could even be based off Purge for some added utility, fits the lightning theme, makes him a good team player.

He has too many passives. I'd like to change the third ability somewhat. Perhaps he could activate it, and for the next N seconds anyone who did more than X damage to him would get hit by a Chain Lightning. If we really wanted a team player, we could make it a shield that could be cast on someone else instead of him.

The ultimate is also passive, so why don't we do something making it sort of more like the original ultimate. Like...maybe it could create a series of lightning explosions in a target area? Sort of like the ladder campaign spell Rain of Chaos, although I don't know that we'd necessarily base it off that. Some sort of activated AoE ultimate is fine, the problem with the original concept was it was too far-ranging, too random and too complicated.

I very much like the direction this hero is going.

By the way, the Sven model is taken by the Blood Knight, even though he's red. Is there another model we could use? I'm not sure the color difference is sufficient to differentiate the two.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sat May 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Are you certain?

http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/felguards.shtml#overlord

There seems to be a fairly large difference between the two, blue and red, and you could always make the contrast greater by making the blue even lighter than it is now.

Felguard = Blood Knight - Dark and Forboding

Overlord = Tempest Knight - Light and Protective

Modified the skills. His current ultimate actually does what you describe, just in an AoE around him and with locusts as the "dummy units". Razz. Changed it to active, though (and gave it a minor boost, as well). If this skill is something you don't like, then you're probably thinking of "Monsoon", which creates a rain and lightning effect on the enemies within its area.

His passive damage return is an important part of who he is, I say, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little utility. Comments on the change?

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Tempest wrote:Are you certain?

http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/felguards.shtml#overlord

There seems to be a fairly large difference between the two, blue and red, and you could always make the contrast greater by making the blue even lighter than it is now.

Felguard = Blood Knight - Dark and Forboding

Overlord = Tempest Knight - Light and Protective

I'll solicit some other opinions and see what the consensus is.

Modified the skills. His current ultimate actually does what you describe, just in an AoE around him and with locusts as the "dummy units". Razz.

I know that. I don't like that, though. I'd rather have it target an area and be a shorter effect, more like RoC or Freezing Field in DotA I suppose. With or without stuns. Maybe like Monsoon without the channel. Some sort of concept like that. However, the Locust Swarm would be OK, it would just make him have a much more kiting-combat role. I'm actually okay with either one, so that's your call. I might need to tweak the numbers you listed, though, just because it's very hard to tell what would be balanced with a STUNNING LOCUST SWARM of all things. But yeah, decide what kind of ultimate you'd rather he had.

His passive damage return is an important part of who he is, I say, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little utility. Comments on the change?

It's just too many passives. I think there are too many numbers in the ability still, and maybe too many conditionals. Like...I'd rather have something like this:

Shields the target unit with energy. When that unit takes 100 or more damage from any source, the shield will release a Chain Lightning at the source of the damage, dealing 60/90/120/150 damage and bouncing up to 5 times. Lasts 12 seconds. Cooldown: 30 seconds.

It's just a much cleaner, simpler ability. The two different types of return...I see why you want it, conceptually, but in practice the difference between that and a static value won't be a whole lot anyway.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Bengal_Tigger wrote:
Modified the skills. His current ultimate actually does what you describe, just in an AoE around him and with locusts as the "dummy units". Razz.

I know that. I don't like that, though. I'd rather have it target an area and be a shorter effect, more like RoC or Freezing Field in DotA I suppose. With or without stuns. Maybe like Monsoon without the channel. Some sort of concept like that. However, the Locust Swarm would be OK, it would just make him have a much more kiting-combat role. I'm actually okay with either one, so that's your call. I might need to tweak the numbers you listed, though, just because it's very hard to tell what would be balanced with a STUNNING LOCUST SWARM of all things. But yeah, decide what kind of ultimate you'd rather he had.

Very low chance and it's really just to cause a very small interruption. At the maximum level, with the *ideal* circumstances, you will be stunned about once every 8 seconds. I'm not against removing the stun, but I would like to have a small chance to do something other than damage.

It's just too many passives. I think there are too many numbers in the ability still, and maybe too many conditionals. Like...I'd rather have something like this:

Shields the target unit with energy. When that unit takes 100 or more damage from any source, the shield will release a Chain Lightning at the source of the damage, dealing 60/90/120/150 damage and bouncing up to 5 times. Lasts 12 seconds. Cooldown: 30 seconds.

It's just a much cleaner, simpler ability. The two different types of return...I see why you want it, conceptually, but in practice the difference between that and a static value won't be a whole lot anyway.

I feel that Chain Lightning is not a good choice, no matter how you look at it, because of its role in the first skill.

Also, 100+ damage? That's basically a nuke. If we were to shield fragile allies, then a nuke would tear them apart anyway. This wouldn't "protect" them, per se, it would just be a means to damage the enemy (I know you'll target this hero, so I'll damage you when you do). I also wanted to avoid a return skill that affected more than one enemy as well as a skill with a large gap in the active -- cooldown times. Considering that this is, as far as I'm concerned, his trademark skill in terms of his role (he tanks, and they take damage when he tanks), the 18-30 second gap between uses (if you even used it on yourself to begin with) means he is just an ordinary tank with some minor DPS and *melee*-ranged disable. People will just slam him -- there is no deterrent at all to just destroying him. None of his other skills add a deterrent to killing him (in fact, they are there to augment his minor dps sub-role as well as to give a reason as to why he won't just simply be ignored), so changing this will make him a "tank" without a reasonable defense to attack.

Changing his passive to an active like this would turn him more into a *supporting-magic offensive* role rather than a tank/dps-alternative. If you truly feel that there are too many passives, then changing his first skill (to an active) would be a more viable option. The active that I proposed here makes it so that enemies can't simply skirt around him and directly attack the squishies -- he would tank damage for them even if he was not the one directly targeted.

And it could just as easily be made that (when used on an ally, a shield is formed that blocks damage). The whole "within range" thing can be nullified completely. A lot of things can be changed, in fact, to make it simpler.

The Static value + variant value is a bit important, though. If it doesn't work out in practice, then it could easily be changed. Should a test be performed?

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Sat May 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Tempest wrote:Very low chance and it's really just to cause a very small interruption. At the maximum level, with the *ideal* circumstances, you will be stunned about once every 8 seconds. I'm not against removing the stun, but I would like to have a small chance to do something other than damage.

Slowing is better than stunning from a game flow perspective.

Tempest wrote:I feel that Chain Lightning is not a good choice, no matter how you look at it, because of its role in the first skill.

That I can understand.

Tempest wrote:
Also, 100+ damage? That's basically a nuke.

60+ damage? That's basically an attack. Every single hero attack triggers this?

Tempest wrote:If we were to shield fragile allies, then a nuke would tear them apart anyway. This wouldn't "protect" them, per se, it would just be a means to damage the enemy (I know you'll target this hero, so I'll damage you when you do).

How does it protect anyone at all? It doesn't offer any defensive bonuses. That's all this skill is, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, wait, I misread it. You want it to redirect damage to the Tempest Knight. Interesting, but he doesn't seem like a hero that would really be designed for that.

Tempest wrote:I also wanted to avoid a return skill that affected more than one enemy as well as a skill with a large gap in the active -- cooldown times.

Not sure what you mean by "affected more than one enemy." Your ability design only affects one enemy?

Tempest wrote:Considering that this is, as far as I'm concerned, his trademark skill in terms of his role (he tanks, and they take damage when he tanks)

Considering that this is not at all related to the rest of the hero...

Dude, he can't tank. He doesn't get durability from any of his skills, and it's not even like there's a compelling reason to focus him. The presence of this ability would make me NOT want to focus him if at all possible. It's not like he can really wreak havoc if he's left alone.

Tempest wrote:the 18-30 second gap between uses (if you even used it on yourself to begin with) means he is just an ordinary tank with some minor DPS and *melee*-ranged disable. People will just slam him -- there is no deterrent at all to just destroying him. None of his other skills add a deterrent to killing him (in fact, they are there to augment his minor dps sub-role as well as to give a reason as to why he won't just simply be ignored), so changing this will make him a "tank" without a reasonable defense to attack.

The large gap between uses means the ability can be more powerful when it's active. If it's always on, it can't be that strong. You also forget that you're playing TWO HEROES NOT ONE. 12 second duration on a 30 second cooldown means you can have it up almost all the time you're using him, and certainly when he's being focused.

Tempest wrote:Changing his passive to an active like this would turn him more into a *supporting-magic offensive* role rather than a tank/dps-alternative. If you truly feel that there are too many passives, then changing his first skill (to an active) would be a more viable option. The active that I proposed here makes it so that enemies can't simply skirt around him and directly attack the squishies -- he would tank damage for them even if he was not the one directly targeted.

Yes, I see what you're suggesting now. But I still don't see why you think TK is a tank/dps role. He just isn't particularly cut out to be a tank with his skill-set, and his DPS output is fairly normal.

Tempest wrote:And it could just as easily be made that (when used on an ally, a shield is formed that blocks damage). The whole "within range" thing can be nullified completely. A lot of things can be changed, in fact, to make it simpler.

Yes, those would be possibilities.

Tempest wrote:The Static value + variant value is a bit important, though. If it doesn't work out in practice, then it could easily be changed. Should a test be performed?

I see...you want it to gain all the benefits of a %-based return, but if I attack you for a minimum (60) you want it to really hurt. That's fair.

Let me crunch a couple numbers for you.

Here is the damage value you suggest:

Requires 60 damage to activate and deals 46/42/38/34 + 10/20/30/40%(damage taken) damage to the aggressor.

This actually levels terribly for ordinary attacks...

Suppose you attack me and deal 60 damage. You will take 46 + 10% = 52 damage at level 1. You will take 34 + 40% = 58 damage at level 4. So the improvement from level 1 to level 4 is a whopping 6 damage. I'm wondering if you noticed the part where I AM TAKING NEARLY 100% OF THE DAMAGE I DO TO YOU EVEN AT LEVEL 1.

If I get nuked for 250 damage, it'll return 34 + 100 = 134 damage. So basically you get about 50% return on nukes, and 80-100% return on ordinary attacks (unless the hero is stacked). Passively. See why I don't like these numbers much?

It's also just a boring concept, to be perfectly honest.

I envisioned this hero more like Leviathan from DotA. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with him now, but I think he needs more defining.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Planeshift Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 pm

If I might say something (with my nice grammar)...

I really like the concept of the hero and what you are trying to make, but, after reading the whole skills, I'm a bit disoriented. The two first skills are, in my opinion, clearly design to annoy people over time : Grasp will slow your opponents that comes in close combat, making you able to do more and more damage with your Chain Lightning. And even if the enemy is far from you, you will just slash creeps, until you unleash your passive, making your opponent(s) unable to regenerate his shield (doesn't matter, in fact, how much damage you do : you just do some, ).
So, with the two first skill, I would say : Irritating Hero. But not so a first-liner, since he has, as Bengal_Tiger said, no resistance, no durability. But you need to stay not so far from your enemies if you want to do something. And you can't, since you can't tank : Feedback is granting you a damage return, not a bonus in tanking.

The third skill is not appropriate for the current role, then : I would change this to something active, like "Accumulate all the next XXX incoming damage, and then do a AoE thunderclap at your current position". You will become able to tank, and this skill will be good with skill 1 or skill 2 : with skill 1, you will focus more on farming/tanking; with skill 2, you should be able to help in ganking by tanking ("tower, target me plz") and doing the support.
Yet, it's not an original idea... If you can find something better, well Very Happy
(You could, also, completely change it to a support way : something like a purge, giving back some shield, removing all negative buffs, and for each buff removed that way, gives some more shield. I dunno.)

The ultimate is quite nice right now, since a ministun is always good to stop channeling people (for example : Lich ultimate, Snake Charmer Bind, etc). Quite random, but eyh... Better than nothing :O

Planeshift
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sat May 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Actually, the ~100% return to melee damage was something I was looking for. When you factor in magic resistance, it's not exactly 100% return, anyway. Razz

All levels offer approximately the same return for a 60 damage attack. Higher levels offer more return for attacks that are higher.

But... you both bring up valid arguments with his inability to tank. His strength and energy stats have a decent growth rate and both add to his overall damage. This means both energy and strength items are viable on him --> +shields, +health. But, he has no *inherent* ability to tank. This worries me (and I'm glad you brought it to my attention), because his DPS role is minor and he should have a role before getting those items.

So, yes, skill needs a change so that his tanking role is more defined. One that improves his ability to tank, not one that simply benefits from it. Don't want him *too* reliant on items. XD

And, haha, good call, Plane. That does sound interesting, really... hmmm... it also allows finally allows me to make something that is themed towards the fact he's a KNIGHT as well as his electrical background.

Finished changing it. Thoughts?

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Sat May 09, 2009 11:12 pm

The new ability you suggested is very similar to Blademaster's Fierce Return ultimate. Which is fine, but with Blademaster we add the absorbed damage to his next attack automatically after the spell ends. With Tempest Knight, we already have Discharge happening on his attacks so it seems like a lot. I don't really fancy the idea of giving him a separate ability although it is something we could do.

What about something more like Flame Shield?

My idea was something like this:

Shields the Tempest Knight, causing 8/16/24/32% of the damage he would take to be prevented. If any source of damage would deal more than 100 damage, the shield will release a bolt of lightning at that enemy dealing 60/90/120/150 damage (or something like that) and mini-stunning (does not bounce, technically based off Storm Bolt). Lasts 6 seconds. Cooldown: 15 seconds.

What do you think of that?

Another random thought I had was making the second ability reduce the target's resistance to magic temporarily. Works nicely with all the lightning.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Sun May 10, 2009 12:05 am

Mm... I'm not too fond of that idea, though it's not bad at all. If he's going to have a tank skill that requires activation, then I believe that he should be able to decide where the damage goes.

The timer is there so that he can't just save it up for when he needs it -- he has to use it rather quickly. Acts as a sort of balance between the possibility of hitting multiple enemies because of the repercussions if you wait too long.

The magic resistance drop is not bad at all, and would greatly improve his passive chain lightning. Any suggestions on how much resistance to be lost?

Tempest
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down