perSonas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domination Victory (or whatever it is called)

4 posters

Go down

Domination Victory (or whatever it is called) Empty Domination Victory (or whatever it is called)

Post  kageyume Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm

While playing beta 3 a moment ago, I was talking to someone about games ending kind of early. I finally found out about something they called "domination victory" where they said that if a team has 12 kills more than the other, they immediately win. Why was this implemented (and made default)?

So far, my opinion of it is that it is horribly imbalanced. Besides, what is the point of having a regular kill limit if you can circumvent it to win a whole lot earlier? This especially unbalances games that both teams may be evenly matched overall, but where one team has all average players and the other has good players and bad players. It also doesn't allow any sort of catching up. Being able to catch up SHOULD be allowed, in my opinion, rather than the game just arbitrarily ending because another team is only CURRENTLY ahead. This "feature" has ruined several games I've been in. I think two ways to win is already enough; it doesn't need a third way that is enabled by default which can end the game prematurely. If it is enabled by default, it at least either needs the required kill gap to be widened or possibly dynamically adjusted based on various factors, in my opinion.

Anyway, haven't you ever seen games that came down to one team trying to destroy the other team's base, while the other team is trying to get enough kills to win before that happens? I've seen some very close games where the base destruction or kill counts aren't necessarily close, but that are close games because one team is almost destroying the other's base, while the other is almost at the kill limit, where both are almost the same amount of time away from victory.

I know of many people I've played with who have complained about this, btw; I'm not at all the only one.

kageyume

Back to top Go down

Domination Victory (or whatever it is called) Empty Re: Domination Victory (or whatever it is called)

Post  so.SuaVe Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm

i agree the domination rule @ 3 kills is a bit too low.

however, i don't agree that domination rule is a stupid feature.

to play the devils advocate, i have played MANY games where the score would be like 4 to 20 and it was very obvious a certain team would win. At that point, the "losing" team would have to sit and endure 20 more obvious and useless kills. This kills the fun factor when the game really is over at a certain point.

basically, the game tries to be smart and draw the line as to when a specific team is too far ahead. 3 kills is a bit too low -- perhaps it should be amped to 4 or 5 kills, and maybe factor in the time (for example, past 40 minutes = no domination rule)
so.SuaVe
so.SuaVe
Suave Nipu

Back to top Go down

Domination Victory (or whatever it is called) Empty Re: Domination Victory (or whatever it is called)

Post  kageyume Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:01 pm

lol, you make it sound like it is a special victory/defeat condition just so that people can leave. If everyone agrees that nothing is going to change, they could just agree on leaving or allowing people to leave.

Oh, I guess it is a much smaller margin that I thought. Yeah, that is way too little of a difference in kills. A game wasn't really even very far along and we had no kills on our side, but the moment the other team got their 4th kill it ended? The game can't be decided that soon. Razz

I'm still of the opinion that if you are going to have a set amount of kills for a team to reach, the game shouldn't just arbitrarily decide one team is "winning" and just declare victory for them. Even so, the margin should be much higher. Like if the limit is 40, I think the difference should probably be at least half of that. Or maybe don't even force the game to end at all. Some people LIKE to continue a game that they know already that they can't win. If you really want to have it included, maybe just have the remaining players of the losing team vote on whether to give up or not, rather than forcing the game to end.

kageyume

Back to top Go down

Post  so.SuaVe Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 am

It's 4 x number of players in a team

That means 16 kill spread
so.SuaVe
so.SuaVe
Suave Nipu

Back to top Go down

Post  kageyume Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 am

It stopped at 4 kills on a 2 vs 2 that I played before adding things to that last message. Also, you say it depends on how many players are on a team. How is it calculated exactly, and whose team? What happens to the calculations when someone leaves on a team?

kageyume

Back to top Go down

Post  Bengal_Tigger Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:21 pm

It calculates your team size at the beginning of the game, and requires your team's kills to exceed the other team's by 3 times that.

So if we're playing a 4v4 and two people leave and now it's a 3v3, we'll still need to be ahead by 12 kills to win by Domination.

3*teamsize is too low, though. 4*teamsize might be better, or even 5*teamsize.
Bengal_Tigger
Bengal_Tigger
Admin

https://personas.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kageyume Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:48 pm

What do you think of the idea of making it optional to end it when that is reached? Like by instead calling a vote on it when it is reached, or by some other means?

Oh, and I think you neglected to mention this in the change log that is posted on the forum, by the way. I had searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this change when I was trying to figure out why games were ending early. That brings up another point - the map itself has no information about this, as far as I could tell. Whenever this got triggered, I had no idea what was going on. I had initially thought it was some kind of bug, not a feature.

kageyume

Back to top Go down

Post  Planeshift Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 am

Yes, that wasn't in the changelog and, fortunately, I had read this topic before playing, or I would still be wondering why we won without doing all the kill.

Moreover, I think it should be optionnal, at least for now : I am trying to do my best on week-ends to create and play as most perSonas games I can on Northrend (I'm from Europe, say hello Surprised ) and, to get more and more players, I need them to actually enjoy the game. To do so, I need them to last, not to end when my teammates do overkilling (even if I'm trying not to kill, sometimes, it's "me or you", so...). If it's too short, they won't want to play a new game if it's ended in ten little minutes Mad

Oh, and it's a bit off-topic, but... I WANT THE BOT ON NORTHREND PLEASE Laughing

Planeshift
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum